Please note that if you are 16 years old and younger, the Court will automatically set you on the next Court Docket and mail out a Summons to appear at the Copper Canyon Municipal Court. A parent/legal guardian must accompany the Juvenile.
For all citations, you must appear in person or by mail by the "Appearance Date" printed on your citation. Phone call(s) or email do NOT constitute an appearance.
You must have approval from the Court before starting any Driver’s Safety Course.
Pay the Fine
- Please note that by paying your citation will result in a conviction on your driving record. It may affect your insurance rates. If you pay your citation online before reading your options, please know by paying online, it automatically closed your case with a guilty conviction.
- YOU MAY NOT TAKE DEFERRED DISPOSITION IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A CITATION GOING OVER 24 MPH
- YOU CANNOT HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL)
- You must not have received any citations with the Town if Copper Canyon in the past 12 months
- Enter a plea of guilty of no contest
- Waive your right to a trail by Judge or Jury
- You will be on deferred for 90 days. As long as you do not receive another citation and pay your fees, the citation will be dismissed and not appear on your driving record.
- Pay the fine amount PLUS the $50.00 Deferral fee.
- If you are under the age of 25, you can request Deferred Disposition, but as a State law, you will still be required to complete any Texas Approved defensive Driving Course. You will have until the Deferral end date to submit the Certificate of Completion to the Court.
- The items you will need to submit a request for Deferred Disposition will be: the Deferred Disposition Request form, the Municipal Court Plea Form, and a copy of your driver’s license
Driver’s Safety Course
- YOU MAY NOT TAKE A DRIVER’S SAFETY COURSE IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A CITATION GOING OVER 24 MPH
- YOU MUST HAVE A TEXAS DRIVER’S LICENSE- YOU CANNOT HAVE AN OUT OF STATE LICENSE
- You can take a Driver’s Safety Course as long as you have not completed one in the last 12 months to dismiss a ticket- (FROM THE DATE OF COMPLETION TO THE DATE OF THE CURRENT TICKET ISSUED) and have current insurance in your name
- If you are under the age of 25, you are required to complete the Driver’s Safety Course. If you have taken in the last 12 months, you have to do Deferred Disposition but as a condition , you still have to take a Driver’s Safety Course
- Must have a Texas Driver’s License (not a CDL)
- The Court fee for Defensive Driving is $144.00 that has to be paid at the time of sign up or approval; you will need to obtain your driving record at https://www.texas.gov/ website; it will the Certified 3A copy; you will be responsible for paying that expense as well, and lastly you will need to choose any Texas Approved Driver’ Safety Course of your choice and also pay for the class
- You must complete a Defensive Driving Request form ( Please note that you are required to sign it in front of a notary, court clerk, or court administrator), make your payment of $144.00, and provide a copy of your driver’s license and current insurance in the defendant’s name at the Court, Mail, or by E-Mail.
- You will have 90 days from the Approval date from the Court to complete the course
- You must deliver the original certificate of completion signed by the defendant and copy of your driving record prior to the 90 day deadline- You cannot send the certificate of completion and driving record by e mail- They may be dropped off to the Court or mailed in
- If the required documents are not delivered on or before the 90 day deadline, there will be a $190.00 default fine and a summons for a show cause court date; If you do not show up for the Show Cause hearing, a warrant may be issued
Set your Case for Court
- If you waive a jury trial and plead Guilty or No Contest ( Nolo Contendere), you may talk to the Judge about extenuating circumstances that you want the Judge to consider when setting your fine, but the Judge is not required to reduce your fine; Before pleading No Contest or Guilty, the court will schedule a jury trial unless y ou waive that right; If you do, the trial will be before the Judge; If you plead Guilty or No Contest, you must include a waiver of jury trial
- If you plead not Guilty, the Court will schedule a date for your trial and provide you with a copy of the new appearance date
- You may appear at the court clerks office to obtain a court appearance date or submit a court date request
There is a 3.5% processing fee for any type of debit/credit card payments.
All forms are available on The Town of Copper Canyon’s website under Municipal Court.
If any payment is made online without talking with the Court, it will close out your case and go on your record as a Guilty conviction.
If you fail to comply with the conditions or requirements ordered by the Judge, a conviction will be on your driving record.